Thu Dec 23 2010
If you have an Intel graphics chip, and are running a recent version of the drivers such as Mesa 7.9 or Mesa 7.10, you will probably experience a very high memory usage of the game, followed by abrupt crashes due to the system being out of memory.
This is the result of a problem inside the driver. Newer versions of the Linux kernel such as 2.6.38 will make the problem disappear, but if you are running an older kernel version than this you will need to apply the workaround described below.
Workaround: disable texture tiling. Install the tool "driconf", start it, and set "texture tiling" to "false".
This bug ticket contains more information.
Fri Nov 26 2010
A serious bug was found in FreedroidRPG 0.14, that would in some rare cases corrupt the savegames. FreedroidRPG 0.14.1 fixes this and improves Kevin's dialog.
Savegames from 0.14 will be compatible in most cases, but if you encounter breakage either on the map or when talking to Kevin, send the .shp and the .savegame by mail to this address to get it manually fixed.
The Microsoft Windows .exe file in the original package had a problem. The package has been remade and called _freedroidRPG-0.14.1_build2-win32.zip_. For those who downloaded the original package, an updated .exe file is available at the same place, it is called _freedroidRPG-0.14.1_build2-win32.exe.zip_.
Thu Nov 18 2010
FreedroidRPG 0.14 is finally out! FreedroidRPG 0.14 represents almost one year of work, as well as the contributions of three students as part of Google Summer of Code.
The following user-visible improvements have been made over FreedroidRPG 0.13:
- Hacked bots can now be repaired, at a cost in circuits, heat and time. They can also be renamed.
- Dialogs are richer, and a few mini text games were added.
- One new quest was added.
- There are more graphics than before (new weapons, new player animations, improved NPC animations).
- Non-playing characters can now belong to different faction, each faction being friendly or hostile to each of the other.
- Rendering quality was improved in SDL mode.
- A new armor mechanism was introduced. The armor class defines a ratio of damage reduction. Very high armor classes absorb most of the damage.
- Magical items have been removed, and replaced with an add-on system that is more realistic and more interesting to play with. This is the work of Ari Mustonen as part of his Google Summer of Code project.
- Random dungeons have been greatly improved, and will now have more variation. This is the work of Alexander Solovets as part of his Google Summer of Code project.
- The leveleditor interface was re-designed for more efficiency. This is the work of Samuel Pitoiset as part of his Google Summer of Code project.
Under the hood were done many improvements as well - bug fixes, performance improvements, code cleanups.
Savegames from earlier versions of FreedroidRPG are not compatible with version 0.14.
Wed Nov 17 2010
This is the new website for Freedroid. This website features a new visual design, which is modern and easy to navigate.
It will enable us to update the website more frequently and more easily, in order to better communicate about our progress.
Fri Mar 19 2010
FreedroidRPG has been accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2010! If you are a student and wish to spend your summer writing open source software, don't hesitate to apply! Our ideas list is available at http://freedroid.sourceforge.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ToDo/OpenJobs.
We are available to discuss your ideas on IRC (#freedroid on irc.freenode.net), on our mailing list, or on our forum at https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freedroid/.