July 2011 Progress Report
Mon Aug 01 2011
Hello, this is FreeDroidRPG's monthly progress report for July! As always, the developers are working on improving the game in ways both highly visible and more subtle. This is what we've been up to this past month:
- Maria Grazia Alastra implemented global Lua variables, which can simplify complex operations in dialogs and are already in use in several.
- The Tux and NPC animations were the latest and final additions to the club of graphic assets that utilize a texture atlas, which is a more transparent format that also yields better performance than the previous. By Józef Kucia.
- Multiple layers of floor tiles are now implemented, enabling various combinations of transparent floor tiles. Thanks to Józef Kucia.
- The Exterminator gun is a fearsome weapon, the strongest in the game; firing it is not for the weak of character, and it now shows in its blast graphics. Thanks to Infrared.
- Each add-on now has its own unique graphics, by Infrared.
- Xenux implemented dialog topics, enabling dialogs to be subdivided into several subdialogs simply and easily.
- The player now needs to be in possession of proper credentials in order to enter the Hell Factory. By Matthias Krüger.
Smaller, but no less significant changes:
- The behavior of the Toggle Grid button in the level editor has been changed: left-clicking on it enables or disables the grid, while right-clicking on it changes the grid mode (full grid or partial grid). By Cătălin Badea.
- When the screen resolution is too small to display all of a menu's content, the menu scrolls. By Hike Danakian.
- When scrolling in the level editor, scrolling speed is consistent regardless of FPS. By Józef Kucia.
- A bug preventing waypoints and floor tiles from being dragged on to the northern and eastern borders of a level was fixed. By Matei Pavaluca.
- A bug was fixed that enabled selection past the last item in the top row in shops. Thanks to Samuel Pitoiset.
- It is now possible to load unfinished nethack games in c-net. Take frequent breaks! By Miles McCammon.
- Many, many other bug fixes, tweaks, polishing and applications of duct tape.
All in all, 114 changes were committed in July.
July was exciting indeed, and we wish to thank everyone who contributed and helped improve the game. If you have an idea, something that bugs you or even an actual patch, don't be afraid to contact us and talk about it (and of course submit the patch!) You might even find your name on this list!
-The FreeDroidRPG Team