Tue Dec 29 2009
We are happy to announce that we are releasing FreedroidRPG 0.13, release candidate 1.
It is currently available as a source tarball. Microsoft Windows binaries will follow.
Download FreedroidRPG 0.13rc1
FreedroidRPG 0.13 is the result of one year of work, and brings the following improvements :
- Translation support was removed, as a consequence of the lack of a translation team, and technical glitches in our use of gettext for the translation system.
- New graphics for various items (mostly weapons and ammunition), contributed by infrared
- Improved graphics of some floor tiles
- Added graphics for a few map elements
- Different difficulty levels, accessible in the Options menu
- Removal of level "interfaces" (the black borders between levels). Transitions between levels are now completely transparent, for a better immersion.
- Performance improvements in game startup as well as loading and saving games
- Improve script API, giving the ability to start a takeover game
- Add a random dungeon generator mechanism, used for now only on level 43
- Compress savegames to save disk space
- Removed "examine mode", a feature that was almost unused
- Add a persistent NPC inventory system for more realism in shops
- Change the armor system to use a "damage reduction" ratio instead of armor class
- Fix takeover game display in SDL mode
- Lots of bug fixes in all areas
- interface improvements
- ability to edit the contents of chests on the map
- two-level zoom out mode when using OpenGL
Note that the savegames from previous versions of FreedroidRPG will not be compatible with FreedroidRPG 0.13.
This release candidate is intended to help us find and fix important bugs.